Sunday, February 21, 2010

Throw Me Down Week - Day Two: Ugly Afghan Contest


Yes, my dears, it's true. Many of you currently own a really Ugly Afghan. It might be so ugly it's pretty. Kind of like this blanket my daughter is pictured with up there. She's six now, and full of opinions about what's ugly and what's not. For the record, she loves this picture.

Side Story: I Have No Ugly Afghan
None of my grandmothers knit. There was, however, my Great Aunt Eva. She was married to Uncle Elmer and they lived on a farm in rural Nebraska. Weighing in at 90 pounds, with an iron will and a perm to match, old Aunt Eva was a crafting machine! The blanket you see here was made squares of her old saved polyester pants suits. The other side was made with squares cut from Uncle Elmer's old work overalls. The thing weighs a ton and is about 50% cute and 50% ugly and 100% one of my favorite things.

Yesterday's post asked The Afghan Question. Now it's time to answer that question. Let's find the world's ugliest afghan!

Ugly Afghan Contest Rules:
  • Enter by e-mailing me a picture of an Ugly Afghan you own, along with a few words about it. Who made it for you? Why do you keep it? What memories do you have associated with it? My e-mail is trisha@ttwcreative.com. Deadline for e-mail submissions if Friday, February 25.
  • On Saturday, February 27, I will post pictures of the top five finalists.
  • All five finalists will receive a custom-designed button for their blog saying "I was an Ugly Afghan Finalist." If you don't have a blog you can put the button on your Facebook page.
  • The winner, as voted upon by my readers, will receive enough non-acrylic yarn to make a really lovely throw. As we all know, a throw is always more tasteful than an afghan. (See Immutable Knitting Law #2.)

9 comments:

char said...

sounds like fun...wish I had an afghan to photograph! would be in on this for sure:) Char

Style Maniac said...

Alas, no afghans in my home either ... and I can't knit a stitch. (I just like your writing and family stories.) I'll forward to some knitting friends, though.
Btw, I don't know what the rest of Great Aunt Eva's afghan looks like but the snippet featured above is great. Good thing you are running the contest because I don't think you could win with that one.

Irene Alexander said...

If only I still had the orange and green one that Aunt Faie made-vintage 70's. Maybe not good enough for an "ugly" contest though - I have seen far worse.

Laurie said...

Great idea! Wish I had a picture of the first afghan I crocheted...one of those ripple thangs in lovely '70s browns and oranges. As my comfort level with crocheting increased, my gauge got looser...and I had an amazing, triangular afghan! Not quite as bizarre as the time I tried to knit a bathrobe that turned out to be an afghan with sleeves that grew every time I wore it - the world's first Slanket! Sadly, no picture of that one either...

sara said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I've actually heard lots of good things about the Nate Berkus settee - if this Craigslist find doesn't work out, I'll give that a shot! Oh, and I do have an afghan at home, but it is a beautiful solid cream - my grandmother knitted it for me when I was a baby and it has been a constant in my house ever since!

TStone said...

Just entered, hope it's not too late!
I have several truly awful afghans, but I've sent you the best of the bad, I think. Yes, it was knit with love (sigh)!

TStone said...

Hey, Trish... who won?

Style Maniac said...

who's the winner? ... dying to know

Knit 1 LA said...

Your Aunt Ava must have been my 2nd grade teacher because I swear I recognize those poly patterns! Love her frugality! I have a few crochet poly afghans from my grandma. I only use them if I want a whole body exfoliation... you just can't beat the abrasiveness of 70's acrylic yarn!